Paul Bell, one of the people seeking to be Labour’s candidate for Lewisham Mayor has announced his education policy and promises.
- I will as Mayor oppose new academies and free schools, maintaining Council control of schools wherever possible
- I will as Mayor protect teachers’ jobs and maintain smaller class sizes
- I will as Mayor secure affordable childcare for working families
- I will as Mayor ensure every local child has the chance to go to a school a reasonable distance from home
- I will as Mayor bring Lewisham ‘young people’ service back in-house for the benefit of the community
- I will as Mayor introduce a Lewisham Fair Workload Charter, to improve conditions for teachers.